Welcome to the website of the Jan Merna group at the Department of Polymers, University of Chemistry and Technology Prague.
We investigate catalytic polymerizations of olefins with the goal to prepare precise polyolefins with controlled molar mass, branching, topology, stereoregularity or functionality. We are also interested in use of non-traditional feedstocks for polymer synthesis such as carbon dioxide.
The research of the group mainly focuses on:
- Synthesis of olefin block copolymers by living/controlled polymerization techniques
- Design of new polymerization catalysts
- Synthesis of polyolefin with non-linear architectures
- Copolymerization of olefins with polar monomers
- Synthesis of polyesters by copolymerization of epoxides with carbon dioxide or anhydrides